Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Barrette


On Mother's Day, Madelyn gave me a scare. She swallowed the above hair barrette. It was in her hair when she took a nap (as a rule I never put her in bed with one in her hair but she fell asleep in the car and I didn't notice it, so I just put her in her bed.) She woke up coughing and choking. I tried to get it out using all the maneuvers from CPR class, but nothing came out. I didn't know what she was choking on until i checked her hair...no hair barrette. Finally, she got it out of her airway and could breathe. I assumed she had swallowed it all the way. I rushed her to Children's Hosp. ER. They did an xray and there it was, not in her stomach but still in her throat! Bizarre b/c she was breathing fine and even laughed occasionally. It was stuck in an area behind the hangy thing in the back of her throat out of her airway but still dangerous. It turned into a panic situation b/c they were afraid it would move into her airway or lung, and the dr organized a team of an anesthesiologists & Ear Nose Throat specialists to get it out in the operating room. She had to be put to sleep and they carefully removed it with some forceps. All went well and she was getting to go home an hr later. we were there for about 5 hrs total. Not a very good first Mother's Day, but I am just thankful that she is fine and I checked on her when I did! Needless to say, no more barrettes allowed. Really Big bows only!

No comments: